Emiliana is one of the world’s most important producers of organic and biodynamic wines and the largest in South America. They have a total of 997 hectares under vine in the valleys of Casablanca, Maipo, Colchagua, and Cachapoal of which 923ha are Institute for Marketecology (IMO) certified organic and the remaining 77 in conversion. Their spectacular biodynamic vineyard and winery at Los Robles is a model that attracts visiting viticulturists and winemakers from all over the world. General Manager José Guilisasti and winemaking consultant Alvaro Espinoza were key to establishing this project to convert a large commercial winery into a commercially viable organic one. These innovative wines are made with great care and attention and the results are inspiring.
The soil contains a mixture of clay and sand, with the depth of the soils 2 – 3 meters, optimal for red varieties. This wine is made from a blend of Syrah (48%), Carmenere (24%), Merlot (11%), Cabernet (10%), Mourvedre (3%),Malbec (3%) and Petit Verdot (1%).
The Science Bit:
Coyam’s vinification process begins with a 4–5 day cold soak at 8–10°C (46–50°F). Alcoholic fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks. Fermentation temperatures are maintained at 28–30°C (82–86°F) with regular pump-overs programmed according to enological criteria. The new wine remains in contact with the skins at 25°C (77°F) for an average of 10 days post-fermentation and a total maceration time of 20–30 days. Malolactic fermentation takes place naturally in French oak barrels. Coyam is barrel-aged for one year, 85% in French oak and the remaining 15% in American oak. It is largely unfiltered except for a light, 3-micron cartridge filter used at bottling.
What does it go with:
This wine should be served with lightly seasoned red meats, fresh cheeses, pastas with spicy sauces or dried fruits.
Quotes from the Press:
2012 Vintage: 91+ Points – The Wine Advocate
2011 Vintage: “‘Bright, juicy dark fruits, nice acidity and freshness with some savoury notes. Fun and full bodied,’ said team leader Laura Rhys MS, with Neil Bruce of Studio Alto adding: ‘Big, brash black fruits, chunky and very drinkable.’ ‘Bloody and meaty, with a long, fresh finish. Match with roast veal and olive jus,’ said Matthieu Longuere MS of Le Cordon Bleu.” – Sommelier Wine Awards 2015, Judges Comments
2011 Vintage: “Brambles, spice, flowers, dark fruit, rich, powerful very fruity, lots of freshness and bite. Still young. Very very good” Sommelier Challenge 2014, Judges Comments
2010 Vintage: “Caramelised dark berry aromas. Hints of bitter chocolate and liquorice on the palate, which finished with creamy vanilla oak” DWWA 2013, Judges Comments
2010 Vintage: “Dark and fruity, with menthol and mocha notes to add to herbaceous hints and berry fruits on the nose. ‘Concentrated with vivid berry and plum fruit flavours and a nice depth,’ said team leader Jamie Goode.” Sommelier Wine Awards 2013, Judges Comments
2010 Vintage: Robert Parker 91 Points, December 2012
2009 Vintage: “Fresh blackberries and fruitcake, with syrupy cassis and plum aromas.” Decanter magazine, October 2012